Request the RSA

Request the RSA

Last update9 déc. 2022

What is it?

The RSA (Revenu de Solidarité Active) is a financial aid for people who are unemployed, without unemployment benefits or with low resources.

To receive this financial aid sent by the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales), you must be over 25 years old and have an address in France.

It is possible to receive the RSA immediately after confirmation of the status of beneficiary of international protection (refugee, subsidiary protection, stateless person).

Good to know: Apply for the RSA as soon as possible, as soon as you have the official letter from OFPRA (refugee or stateless person status, beneficiary of subsidiary protection). The CAF does not need your residence permit.

The amount is different from one person to another and depends on the personal situation (single, couple, etc.), the number of children, other financial aid received, and resources (salaries, allowances, etc.).

Good to know: The money sent by CAF is called “benefit” or “aid” or even “allowance”. A person who receives aid from the CAF is called a "beneficiary".

Who is it for?


France entière

Age required
More than 25 years

France entière

Age required
More than 25 years

What to do?


Check your eligibility to RSA

To receive the RSA, you must live in France and have an address (even a domiciliation).

> To read: the sheet "Get a postal domiciliation"

The RSA is reserved for people who are over 25 years old.

But there are 2 exceptions:

  • if you are between 18 and 25 years old, no children, and have worked full-time minimum 2 years during the last 3 years,
  • if you are a single parent with one or more children or if you are pregnant.

Before making a request, to check if you are entitled to receive the RSA, you must first make a simulation on the CAF website (click here). Answer the various questions.

Good to know: - Your family composition is your situation in France: if you are married but your spouse does not live with you, you must tick “alone”.
- You must answer YES to the question “You have lived in France for more than 5 years, with a residence permit authorizing you to work”.
- Be ready to complete the “Resources” part with all the money received over the last 3 months, you and the people who live with you.

  • If the simulator indicates that you are entitled to assistance, it indicates an approximate amount. To be sure of receiving this aid, you must register with CAF and officially submit a “benefit request” (step 3).
  • If the simulator indicates that you are not entitled to assistance, an explanation is given.
  • If you made a mistake while answering the questions, you can start over.

> To read: the sheet “Register and connect to CAF”


Gather the supporting documents

The RSA is sent by transfer to a bank account or to a savings account (passbook A, LDD, etc.). You must therefore have one to give your RIB. If you don't have one, you can go to a Postal Bank counter, for example. A receipt or a certificate of application for a residence permit is sufficient to open a savings account.

Good to know: Also read: the sheet "Opening a bank account"

You will also have to prove your identity and your "civil status".

If you have not yet received your OFPRA birth certificate, the easiest way is to contact the OFII to obtain a “provisional family certificate”. You can also ask them for a certificate of the last transfers of the asylum seeker's allowance (ADA), to prove that you no longer receive this financial assistance (but this document is not compulsory to apply for the RSA).

To obtain these certificates, you can write an email to the OFII in charge of your file or go directly to the counter of the OFII on which you depend.

Full list of all documents needed for your RSA application:

  • Provisional family certificate from OFII or birth certificate from OFPRA
  • Bank account statement of your current account or savings account
  • Photocopy of residence permit or certificate of residence permit application
  • Photocopy of the letter with the OFPRA decision granting you international protection or letter of the CNDA decision (you can hide your personal story in the document sent to CAF)
  • Optional: OFII ADA end-of-payment certificate

You are ready to apply for RSA! You must now choose whether you make the request on the internet (step 3), by making an appointment on site (step 4) or by sending it by post (step 5).

> To read: the sheet “Scanning a document” to have your documents in digital version, if you choose to make the request on the internet.


Option 1 - Online application

Log in to your beneficiary area or create an account on the CAF website, by clicking on “My account” at the top right.

> To read: the sheet “Register and connect to CAF”

You can also log in with your FranceConnect account.

> To read: the sheet “Connect to a website with France Connect”

Good to know: If you haven't yet received your permanent Social Security number (which starts with "1" for men, "2" for women), you can log in with your temporary number (which starts with "7" or " 8").

Click on “Help and procedures”, “Apply for benefits online”, “Professional life”, then “Active solidarity income” and “Apply”.

Answer the questions, the same as for the simulation (step 1).

Good to know: Do not hesitate to ask a social worker for help, to be sure to complete everything correctly. You can ask your accommodation centre, an association or your town hall which service can help you apply for RSA on the internet.

Good to know : the RSA will be sent to you from the date you submitted the file (even incomplete). If the delays are long to contact a social worker, do not wait and go directly to a CAF agency (step 4).


Option 2 - Start your request by making an appointment at the CAF

If you made your RSA request online or by mail, go directly to step 6.

If you want to make an appointment to apply for RSA with a professional in a CAF agency, the first thing to do is go to the site (click here) and write your postal code at the top right in “ My CAF”.

You can then make an appointment:

  • on the internet: click on “Contact us” at the bottom of the page > “Request an appointment”, then follow the steps to make an appointment.
  • by telephone: call 32 30 (cost of a normal call).
  • Directly on site, at the CAF agency next to you, which you can find by clicking on "Find a reception point".

If you have an address in Paris, you can also go to a Parisian space for integration. A professional can help you apply for RSA after making an appointment:

  • on the internet : click here, then on the number of your district, then on “Online appointment booking for an RSA request” and find a date that suits you.
  • by phone or directly on site: the contact details of the 7 Parisian spaces for integration are available by clicking here.

Good to know: Remember to bring all paper documents to the appointment.


Option 3 - Send your request by mail

If you made your RSA request online or by going there, go directly to step 6.

If you don't want to apply online and you can't go to a CAF branch, you can still send your RSA application by post.

To do this, you must first complete this document:

Request for RSA or activity bonus (Form 15481*01)

Good to know : Please note, if you are self-employed (trader, craftsman, liberal profession, etc.), you must fill in form 15482 instead (click here).

If you or your spouse are under 25, you must also complete and send this document: Complementary request for a young person under 25 (Form 14130*02)

Good to know: The list of additional documents to provide is on the last page of the forms.

Once your file is completed, you can send it to your CAF. To find the postal address: write your postal code at the top right of the site in "Ma Caf" , then click on "Contact us" at the bottom of the page. The postal address of your CAF will be displayed.


Wait for CAF's response

You will receive from the CAF a beneficiary number (6 digits and a letter) and a password to allow you to connect to your online space.

As soon as your file is submitted (and if it is complete), the first RSA transfer normally arrives the following month.

Good to know: The first RSA payment may take into account the amount of ADA you received and may not be the maximum amount. The amount will be assessed every 3 months, taking into account your resources.

If you have no response 1 month after the request, contact CAF by phone or email.

And after?

What you must do to maintain your right to RSA

Every 3 months, you must declare your resources to the CAF.

This is the "quarterly declaration of resources". A table must be completed, for each month requested, with the money received (salary, unemployment benefits, etc.).

This allows CAF to calculate the aid that will be sent for the following 3 months.

> To read: the sheet “Make the quarterly declaration to the CAF”

Good to know: Don't forget to inform the CAF of any change in professional or family situation in your personal space, section “declare a change of situation”.

Sign a reciprocal commitment contract or a personalized project

The reciprocal commitment contract (CER) or “personalized project”, is a document that you may sign when applying for RSA.

Good to know: The reciprocal commitment contract is not compulsory, it depends on the regions. But if you signed it, you have to respect it.

This contract presents the rights and obligations of RSA recipients but also of public structures.

Public structures (Pôle emploi, the city of Paris, CAF) are obliged to set up personalized support by a professional social worker, to help you:

  • build your professional project,
  • find a job or set up your own business,
  • find a childcare solution,
  • solve difficulties and answer your questions individually.

Beneficiaries are entitled to receive financial assistance every month. In exchange, you must:

  • look for work or training (make a CV, send applications, etc.)
  • update you on the Pôle emploi website,
  • come to meetings,
  • declare your resources every 3 months.

Benefit from other rights related to the RSA

RSA recipients are entitled to:

  • support from a social worker to help you find a job suited to your situation,
  • Complementary Health Solidarity (CSS) for the reimbursement of health costs,
  • reductions or free public transport,
  • sports or cultural activities...
Have you found useful information?
Thank people who wrote them for you
166 🙏
Contributors engaged
19Keep the page up to date and answer your questions
Proposé par
Comité de la Démarche Accessible

Comité de la Démarche Accessible