Paramètres d'affichage

Choisissez un thème pour personnaliser l'apparence du site.

Important information

Target audience

AudienceStatutory refugees, Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection, Stateless people


225€ only once


Be in possession of a residence permit or a receipt

Where is it?

Renew your residence permit

Updated on 3 місяці тому

What is it?

When the residence permit expires, that is to say that the validity date is approaching ("valid until"), a new card must be requested. This is called a renewal of residence permit.

Whether you are a refugee, beneficiary of subsidiary protection or stateless, you must apply online on the Foreigners in France website between 4 and 2 months before the expiry date of the document.

After 4 years of residence in France with the beneficiary card for subsidiary protection or stateless person status, you can apply directly for a resident card (10 years). In this case, some prefectures may request a letter of motivation, a certificate of the level of French or the latest tax notices.

How to do it?

To apply for a new residence card, you need these documents:

  • Civil status documents sent by OFPRA ( birth certificate , marriage certificate if you are married)
  • Letter with the decision of OFPRA or CNDA granting you the status of refugee, beneficiary of subsidiary protection or stateless person
  • Proof of address less than 6 months old (or proof of address or certificate of accommodation)
Proof of address is required, which does not mean proof of accommodation.
- If you are without stable accommodation and you only have a postal address to receive mail, the usual domiciliation certificate is accepted.
- If you are staying with someone (family, friend, volunteer, etc.), you must send: a certificate of accommodation from the person hosting you, a copy of their identity card (or residence card) and proof address in their name (electricity or telephone bill).
  • If you are married and a national of a country that authorizes polygamy: sworn declaration of non-polygamy (the fact of not being married to several people in France)
The administration may ask you for other documents. For example, in some prefectures, proof of resources or activity is requested: tax notice, employment contract, Pôle Emploi certificate, etc.
To renew a resident card (10 years), some prefectures may request a sworn certificate confirming that you have not lived outside France for more than 3 consecutive years.

If you are a refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection , you must apply for a residence permit online on this site:

  • Log in to your Foreigners in France (ANEF) account, then click on your name at the top right of the home page, and select "Access my account".
  • Or if you've never done it before, create your account.

> Read: the Réfugié sheet “Create a personal account on Etrangers en France (ANEF)”.

Stateless persons cannot yet apply on this site. If you have been recognized as stateless, you must go directly to the prefecture near your address to submit your residence permit application. The documents requested are the same as the online application.

If you are unknown to the administration (family member of a refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection or stateless person), and if you do not have a foreign number or visa number, you must go directly to the prefecture to apply for a residence permit.

Once you are connected to your account on the Étrangers en France (ANEF) website, click on “I apply for or renew a residence permit”.

You must complete the form and send the documents from step 1.

> Read: the Réfugié sheet “Scan a document”.

After making the request online, you automatically receive a “submission confirmation” by email which proves that you have sent your file. This document does not give rise to any rights, it is only proof.

If your file is complete and sent within the requested deadline, you will then receive a “certificate of extension of instruction” (API). It is a temporary residence document which proves that you have the right to be in France legally and that you can work. The API also allows you to access your social rights, but does not allow you to travel. This certificate replaces the receipt and is valid for 6 months. The certificate is renewable, as long as the prefecture has not rendered its decision.

When the prefecture has validated your request, you finally receive a “certificate of favorable decision”, which is valid until your new residence permit is available. This certificate proves that you can work and authorizes you to cross the borders of the Schengen area.

Your certificate of favorable decision is only valid if it is accompanied by your old residence permit.

> If you would like to know more about the different types of certificates you can receive during your application, you can read this document.

For stateless persons: after having submitted the residence permit application file to the prefecture or sub-prefecture, you will receive a provisional residence document called a receipt. This document allows you to be legally in France while your file is being studied. It also allows you to work.

Your request for renewal of your residence permit is studied by the competent prefecture or sub-prefecture close to your postal address. File processing times are different in each prefecture.

To find out how your application is progressing, log in to your personal account on the Foreigners in France website , click on your name at the top right of the home page, and select "Access my account".

There are four stages:

  • Submission of the request: your request has been received.
  • Instruction in progress: the prefecture has started to study your request, its processing is in progress.
  • Decision made: your request has been processed, a decision has been made.
  • Residence permit available: your new card is ready.
The prefecture sends you a message (SMS or email) when your residence permit is available.

You must make an appointment on your prefecture's website to collect your card. Example: Paris Police Headquarters.

If you do not receive any message, you must go to the website of your prefecture to find out how to retrieve your residence card.

The day you pick up your residence permit, you must prove that you have paid €25 in tax stamps (with proof of payment of the stamp duty).

Tax stamps are sold only on the website and in tobacconists.

> To read: the sheet which explains how to buy a tax stamp.

What happens next?

Remember to send a copy of your new residence permit to the administrative services to update your files:

  • CAF if you receive or have applied for RSA, APL and/or family allowances,
  • the town hall of your town if you have applied for social housing,
  • the CPAM of your department for your health insurance,
  • Pôle emploi if you receive or have applied for unemployment benefits...

If you change your address, you must declare it online on the Étrangers en France (ANEF) website. This Réfugié sheet explains how to do “Declare a change of situation on Étrangers en France”.

It is not compulsory to issue a new residence permit (subject to a fee) if you change your address (you can choose whether or not to issue a new permit when you register online). To prove your new address, a certificate will be available in your personal account after processing.

If you have a technical problem (blocked page, error message, etc.), you can contact the Citizens Contact Center (CCC):

  • by telephone at 0 806 001 620 (free number),
  • or with the contact form (“Contact” button at the bottom left of the screen). You must clearly explain your problem and send screenshots (site, date and time visible) with the error message if you have one.
If the CCC has not been able to provide you with a solution, you can go to your prefecture to be accompanied by the digital reception point reserved for foreigners present in France. To contact the digital reception point closest to you, you can search on the internet by writing: “digital reception point foreign prefecture” and adding your department.

If you do not have any response from the prefecture or a negative response to your residence permit application, even though you have sent all the documents within the deadline, you can challenge this decision (say you don't agree).

To challenge the decision:

  • You must contact the Administrative Court of your place of residence. To have contact details for the Administrative Court in your department, click here.
  • Seek help from a lawyer . If you don't have a lot of money, you can request legal aid to cover all or part of your legal costs.
    To read: the Réfugié sheet on legal aid .
  • You can reach out to an association helping foreign people.
  • You can contact the Defender of Rights, an administration which helps people in difficulty to access their rights.
Top of the page

21 contributors mobilized

a mugniera mugnierAdmin
houssam kokachhoussam kokachAdmin
olga b.olga b.Translator
aman expertaman expertTranslator
rohullah expertrohullah expertTranslator