What is it?
To obtain a travel document, you must have obtained refugee status (10 years) or subsidiary protection status (4 years).
The travel document allows you to travel outside France.
- 4 years if you have a multi-year residence permit;
- 5 years if you have a resident card.
It is issued by the prefecture to which your home depends and is renewable .
How to do it?
Your file must include:
- a copy of the valid residence permit,
- proof of residence (water and electricity bills, rent receipt) OR a certificate of accommodation and a copy of the host's identity document,
- 2 standard-compliant passport photographs (bareheaded, 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm format, recent and perfectly alike)
- tax stamps to pay the tax (see step 2).
Obtaining the travel document for refugees or beneficiaries of subsidiary protection is chargeable . You must buy a "tax stamp" of:
- 45 euros if you are a refugee (10 years)
- OR 40 euros if you are a beneficiary of subsidiary protection (4 years).
The stamp can be purchased online or at a tobacco shop.
You can apply for (or renew) a travel document online on this official website:
Between submitting the application on the site and receiving the title, you can view the status of your application at any time in your personal account.
If you cannot complete the process online, you can also check if your prefecture also offers to send or bring your file. To do this, you must check on your prefecture's website how the application must be submitted: on site, by mail or electronically.
For a list of prefectures, you can click here.
What happens next?
You can renew your travel document by repeating the process. Do not forget to attach to your file a copy of your expired travel document.
To travel, minor children must be able to present a circulation document for minor foreigners (DCEM). This document must be requested by the parents in the prefecture. It is valid for 5 years in the Schengen area.
Outside Schengen, you must apply for a travel document for children, with a visa depending on the country. The travel document must be collected at the prefecture in the company of the minors concerned.
Did you find this sheet useful?
Thank the contributors who wrote and translated it for you!
Send by SMS
19 contributors mobilized