Paramètres d'affichage

Choisissez un thème pour personnaliser l'apparence du site.

Important information

Target audience

AudienceStatutory refugees, Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection, Beneficiaries of temporary protection


Free of charge

Where is it?

Driver's licence exchange

Updated on il y a 3 mois

What is it?

Do you have a driving license (obtained in your country of origin) and you want to drive in France? Exchanging your license for a French license is mandatory.

In fact, a permit issued by a non-European state is only recognized the first year of your installation in France.

You have a maximum of one year after the OFPRA decision (refugee status, subsidiary protection or stateless person) to complete the permit exchange process.

How to do it?

To be exchanged, your license must meet the following conditions:

  • Be valid
It is possible to apply if your license expired after your arrival in France. If your license has expired before, the application will not be possible.
  • Have been issued by a State practicing the reciprocal exchange of driving licenses with France
You can use this online simulator (click here) to check if your foreign driving license can be exchanged for a French license.
If you do not meet these conditions, you must take the driving license test in France.
> To read: the Réfugié files “ Take your driving license with a driving school” , “Take your driving license as a free candidate” .

You must apply to exchange your licence within one year of obtaining your instruction extension certificate (API), a temporary residence document issued while you wait for your residence permit to be issued, indicating that you are a refugee, a beneficiary of subsidiary protection or a stateless person.

After one year, the exchange of licenses is no longer accepted.

To exchange your driving license, you need these documents in digital version:

  • Copy of your original double-sided driving license in color,
    > To read: the Réfugié sheet “Scan a document”
  • Official translation of the license into French,
  • Proof of identity (API or residence card),
  • Proof of address less than 6 months old: documents accepted here ,
  • Proof of normal residence if you do not have the nationality of the country where the license is issued (for example: employment contract in the country where you lived before and where you had the license),
  • Digital photo signature.
    > To read: the Réfugié sheet “Making and using an e-photo”
Beneficiaries of international protection (statutory refugees, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection or stateless persons) do not need to provide “certificate of driving rights”. This document is required only for other foreign persons requesting a license exchange.

The exchange of the driving license is done online only on the ANTS website.

You must first create an account on the ANTS website.

You can also log in with your FranceConnect credentials.
> To read: the Réfugié sheet “Connect to a site with FranceConnect”.

After creating your account, you can access the online service that allows you to make the request.

If you would like to be guided to make your request online, you can be supported in one of the digital points in your department or in a France Services area. It is necessary to make an appointment in advance.

What happens next?

To follow your request, you can go to the ANTS website by logging into your space.

Processing time can take several months. During this time, you can drive with your foreign license.

You can find all the answers to the most frequently asked questions by clicking on this link.

You can also contact ANTS:

  • If you live in Paris: via this form.
  • If you live outside Paris: via this form at the bottom of the page.
  • by telephone at 34 00 in mainland France (non-premium rate number / Monday to Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

You will be informed on your space on the ANTS website and by email or SMS.

You will be told how to send your foreign license and collect your new license.

When the administration receives the original of your permit, you can download a secure deposit certificate (ADS) from the ANTS website.

The ADS is valid for 4 months.

This certificate allows you to drive while waiting to receive your French license, within the limit of the recognition period of your foreign license.

If your file is refused, appeal solutions will be indicated on the refusal decision.

You can also choose to retake the driving license exam. As a holder of a foreign driving license, you do not need to do the 20 hours of practical training (the "driving hours") for learning to drive, by registering as a "free candidate" (i.e. without going to a driving school).

> To read: the Réfugié sheet “ Take the driving test as a free candidate

If your original license was issued by a country of the European Union or the European Economic Area less than 5 years ago, you are exempt from taking the test of the highway code.
Top of the page

23 contributors mobilized

a mugniera mugnierAdmin
houssam kokachhoussam kokachAdmin
nour alhindinour alhindiTranslator
aman expertaman expertTranslator
rohullah expertrohullah expertTranslator
olga b.olga b.Translator