What is it?
Do you have a driving license (obtained in your country of origin) and you want to drive in France? Exchanging your license for a French license is mandatory.
In fact, a permit issued by a non-European state is only recognized the first year of your installation in France.
How to do it?
To be exchanged, your license must meet the following conditions:
- Be valid
- Have been issued by a State practicing the reciprocal exchange of driving licenses with France.
You can use this online simulator (click here) to check if your foreign driving license can be exchanged for a French license.
- Have been issued by the country in which you lived before settling in France
- Be written in French or be accompanied by an official translation.
> To read: the Refugees.info sheet "Obtaining the official translation of a document"
You must complete the permit exchange process less than one year after obtaining the receipt indicating the status of refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection or stateless person.
To exchange your driving licence, you need these documents in digital version:
- Double-sided color image of the original driver's license,
> To read: the Refugees.info sheet "Scanning a document"
- Official translation of the license in French,
- Proof of identity (receipt or residence permit),
- Proof of address less than 6 months old: accepted documents here,
- Proof of normal residence if you do not have the nationality of the country issuing the permit (for example: employment contract in the country where you lived before and where you had the permit),
- Digital photo-signature.
> To read: the Refugees.info sheet "Making and using an e-photo"
The exchange of the driving license is done online only on the ANTS website.
- You must first create an account on the ANTS website.
You can also connect with your FranceConnect identifiers, using an account you already have (that of taxes or health insurance for example).
> To read: the Refugees.info sheet "Connecting to a site with FranceConnect".
- After creating your account, you can access this online service which allows you to make the request.
What happens next?
To follow your request, you can go to the ANTS website by logging into your space.
You can find all the answers to the most frequently asked questions by clicking on this link.
You can also contact ANTS:
You will be informed on your space on the ANTS website and by email or SMS.
You will be told how to send your foreign license and collect your new license.
When the administration receives the original of your permit, you can download a secure deposit certificate (ADS) from the ANTS website.
This certificate allows you to drive while waiting to receive your French license within the limit of the recognition period of your foreign license.
If your file is refused, appeal solutions will be indicated on the refusal decision.
You can also choose to retake the driving license exam. As a holder of a foreign driving license, you do not need to do the 20 hours of practical training (the "driving hours") for learning to drive, by registering as a "free candidate" (i.e. without going to a driving school).
> To read: the Réfugiés.info sheet “ Take the driving test as a free candidate ”
Did you find this sheet useful?
Thank the contributors who wrote and translated it for you!
Send by SMS
22 contributors mobilized