Panneau de gestion des cookies

Important information

Target audience

AudienceFrench citizens, Statutory refugees, Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection, Stateless people


Free of charge


Be in possession of a residence permit or a receipt
Have a bank account

Where is it?

Get help from Pôle emploi to pay for your driving licence

Updated on il y a 14 jours

What is it?

The Pôle emploi driving licence grant helps you pay for the training and the driving licence test (category B).

To read also: the sheet " Take the driving license with a driving school"

The aid is for people over 18 years old who have been registered with Pôle Emploi for at least 6 months. It can be requested if the driving licence is necessary to find a new job or to keep a current job.

The duration of registration with Pôle Emploi may be shorter if you have a promise of employment with a contract of at least 3 months requiring a driving license (fixed-term contract (CDD), open-ended contract (CDI), temporary contract.

The amount of aid is a maximum of €1,200.

How to do it?

Here are the conditions to be met in order to apply for this assistance:

  • Be registered with Pôle Emploi (categories A, B, D "training" and "professional security contract" (CSP) or "assisted contract") for more than 6 months and be available for work.
  • Receiving unemployment benefit OR the Return to work allowance ( ARE ) or the Professional Security allowance (ASP) the amount of which is less than or equal to €29.56/day OR having a social minimum (RSA, Specific Solidarity Allowance (ASS), Temporary Waiting Allowance (ATA)...)
  • Not or no longer hold a driving license.
  • Not receive any other financial aid to pay for the driving license (for example from an association, a company, etc.).

The request for driving license assistance must be made before registering for the driving school. It is your Pôle Emploi advisor who calculates whether you can apply for driving license assistance. They must confirm that not having the permit prevents you from finding or keeping your job.

Here are some situations that justify your request:

  • Geographical area with little public transport,
  • Staggered hours (night work for example),
  • Job with compulsory driver's license (deliveryman for example).

If your advisor confirms that you can apply for assistance, he/she will complete a form to apply. You must provide the following documents:

  • Detailed quote of the driving school,
  • Bank details (RIB) of the driving school.
You can choose your driving school but Pôle emploi must then validate it. The driving school should normally be located in a geographical area close to your home (except in special cases).

When you receive confirmation, you can register for the driving school.

The financial aid is €1200 maximum. It is sent in 3 installments (3x€400) directly to your driving school. For the payment to take place, it is necessary to present supporting documents and to respect a schedule.

First transfer for the driving school

Proof: Certificate of enrolment and training given by the driving school.

When: maximum 1 month after confirmation.

Second transfer

Proof: Certificate of successful completion of the driving test.

When: maximum 5 months after confirmation.

Third transfer

Proof: passing the driving test OR proof of 30 hours of driving lessons OR proof of 2 test participations.

If you do not respect the schedule, the aid payment may be cancelled.

What happens next?

You will be able to consult the results online on the Road Safety website 48 hours after the practical exam.

  • If the result is "insufficient" (below 20 points), you will have to retake the exam and choose a new date with your driving school.
  • If the result is "favourable" (20 points minimum), you have succeeded, congratulations! You can then download your driver's license examination certificate (CEPC).
Accompanied by an identity document, this certificate allows you to drive for 4 months from the day of the exam.

Then contact your driving school to find out how to obtain your permanent driving licence!

Driving license assistance can only be given once. If you did not pass the exam, you must pay by yourself to retake it.

The driving license of category B takes the form of a credit card and is valid for 15 years. To renew it, you have to do a simple administrative procedure, without retaking the exam or doing a medical check-up.

Related topics

Top of the page

12 contributors mobilized

a mugniera mugnierAdmin
houssam kokachhoussam kokachAdmin
ammar bazzaziammar bazzaziTranslator
olga b.olga b.Translator
rohullah expertrohullah expertTranslator