Paramètres d'affichage

Choisissez un thème pour personnaliser l'apparence du site.

Important information

Proposed by

Target audience

AudienceStatutory refugees, Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection


Free of charge

Where is it?

Waiving refugee status

Updated on il y a 4 mois

What is it?

A refugee or a beneficiary of subsidiary protection can waive the status granted by Ofpra (the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons).

This means that it is possible to abandon the international protection of France if:

  • the reasons for your asylum application no longer exist and the situation has changed for you and your family;
  • you can be protected by your country of origin and return there without risk.
Renunciation of refugee status or beneficiary of subsidiary protection is a final decision that can have important consequences for you and your family.

Exception: if a minor child has international protection because of a risk of sexual mutilation, he/she cannot renounce refugee status as long as this risk exists.

How to do it?

The first thing to do is read the first 2 pages of this document.

The situations, consequences and steps of renunciation are explained.

This document only exists in French. To be sure you understand, do not hesitate to ask for help with translation (from a friend, family member, volunteer, association, etc.).

First you need your Ofpra file number.

It is a 9-digit number of the XX-XX-XXXXX type written at the top left of each letter sent by Ofpra.

If you have moved, you must change your postal address on the OFPRA website to receive mail.

> To read: the sheet “Inform OFPRA of a change of contact details”

Then you must print, complete, date and sign the form on the third page of this document .

It is possible to explain why you want to waive refugee status, on the document or on a sheet.

If your spouse also wishes to waive their coverage, they must complete another individual waiver form.

If the waiver concerns a minor child who benefits from individual protection without the parents being protected, his parents are called to an interview. Renunciation of the protection of the child entails the loss of the right of residence. In this case, the document must be signed by both parents.

You can send the completed form by post or email.

  • by mail

Send the form to this address:


Pôle Protection

201 rue Carnot

94136 Fontenay-sous-Bois Cedex

It is advisable to make a photocopy of the form and send it with an acknowledgment of receipt.
  • by email

Send the form as an attachment to

> To read: the sheet "Scanning a document".

The Ofpra can ask for an interview with the person who wants to waive protection.

The end of protection decision is sent by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt and a copy is sent to the prefecture.

If you change your address within three months of submitting your application, you must inform Ofpra to ensure that you receive your mail.

> To read: the Réfugié sheet "Inform OFPRA of a change of contact details".

If, despite the waiver request, the Ofpra decides to maintain your protection, you will receive the reply by post with your birth certificate (and your marriage certificate if you are married).

What happens next?

Renouncing refugee status can have very important consequences:

  • the withdrawal of the residence permit, in particular if you have had a residence permit for less than 5 years;

To be able to continue to live in France, you will have to apply for a residence permit from your prefecture for a reason other than that of protection by the Ofpra (private and family life, French spouse, etc.).

  • the loss of the legal and administrative protection of the Ofpra;

To obtain identity and civil status documents (passport, birth certificate, etc.), you must contact the consulate or embassy of your country of origin and the prefecture of your place of residence to update your administrative situation.

Renouncing refugee status also has consequences for your family:

  • Your spouse may lose refugee status ;
  • Your children who have come of age may lose refugee status ;
  • Your minor children may no longer benefit from the protection provided by the OFPRA ;
  • Your country of origin may refuse to recognize personal and family events that have occurred in France.

If you have changed your mind and wish to benefit from international protection again, you must apply for a review of your situation and your family members. The whole process is explained on this page.

Top of the page

15 contributors mobilized

a mugniera mugnierAdmin
houssam kokachhoussam kokachAdmin
mhd aweiss al doboushmhd aweiss al doboushTranslator
rohullah expertrohullah expertTranslator
olga b.olga b.Translator
aman expertaman expertTranslator
etienne develayetienne develayTranslator