Paramètres d'affichage

Choisissez un thème pour personnaliser l'apparence du site.

Important information

Target audience

AudienceBeneficiaries of temporary protection


Free of charge

Where is it?

Obtain temporary protection

Updated on il y a 7 mois

What is it?

People who are already refugees and their families, displaced in France because of the war in Ukraine, can benefit from temporary protection.

Temporary protection is an exceptional device authorized by the decision of the Council of the European Union of March 4, 2022. It allows people who benefit from it to receive immediate protection in the countries of the European Union.

In France, temporary protection gives different rights:

  • the issuance of a temporary residence permit (APS) on French territory for a period of 6 months, bearing the mention “beneficiary of temporary protection” and renewable for three years;
  • authorization to work;
  • the possibility of receiving financial aid, such as the asylum seeker's allowance (ADA);
  • access to medical care;
  • the schooling of minor children;
  • access to suitable accommodation.
This temporary protection is valid for one year and can be extended for a maximum of 2 years. It can be "revoked" (= canceled) at any time by the European Union if the situation in the country of origin allows a safe and sustainable return of the displaced persons.

How to do it?

Do you benefit from (international or national equivalent) protection granted by the Ukrainian authorities? If so, you can benefit from temporary protection.

You can also obtain temporary protection if you are affected by one of these cases:

  • You are a Ukrainian national and you resided in Ukraine before February 24, 2022;
  • You are not a Ukrainian national but you hold a valid permanent residence permit issued by the Ukrainian authorities and you are unable to return to your country of origin in a safe and sustainable manner;
  • You are a family member of a person falling under one of the above mentionned cases (family members are: spouse, unmarried minor children and dependent parents).
Most of the sheets on Réfugié are aimed at you, even if you are not a beneficiary of international protection.

To apply for protection, you must go to the prefecture of the department of your place of residence or accommodation.

Click here to access the map of prefectures in France.

If you are in Paris, Nice or Strasbourg, you can also go to a “Ukraine welcome” point:

Don't forget to bring the documents you have that justify your situation. You must come on site accompanied by the members of your family (spouse and children).

You will be received at a specific reception desk. You will be given a list of documents to provide, a document to complete and an appointment date to submit your request.

You will then have to come to the scheduled appointment with your complete file (originals and photocopies) to obtain your temporary residence permit.

What happens next?

If your file is complete and admissible, you will be protected and you will be granted a temporary residence permit.

You will then be referred to the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII) to obtain your ADA card.

If you have any questions about your arrival in France, do not hesitate to read the welcome booklet in France for people displaced from Ukraine available on this page. This booklet is translated into Ukrainian.

You can also consult the files translated into Ukrainian on the application.

Top of the page

11 contributors mobilized

claudia mclaudia mAdmin
a mugniera mugnierAdmin
houssam kokachhoussam kokachAdmin
yassin bazzaziyassin bazzaziTranslator
olga b.olga b.Translator
rohullah expertrohullah expertTranslator