To get a PACS in France

To get a PACS in France

Last update7 juil. 2021

What is it?

The PACS (civil solidarity pact) is a contract between two adults (man/woman, 2 women or 2 men), to organize life together. It is more flexible and requires fewer commitments than marriage. In particular, it is easier to break a PACS (by simple declaration) than a marriage.

The Pacs gives advantages :

  • for taxes (constitution of a common tax household),
  • for social cover (the partner who does not benefit from social cover can benefit from the cover of his partner if he is dependent on him),
  • for donations and inheritances (costs are reduced - example: no inheritance tax payable in the event of the death of the partner).

Please note : The Pacs is free .

To conclude a PACS:

  • the partners agree to have a common residence.
  • both partners must be of legal age in their country of origin and must not already be married or in a civil partnership
  • the two partners must not have a direct family link between them ( example: parents / children, grandparents / grandchildren, brother / sister, half-brother / half-sister, uncle or aunt / niece or nephew, step-sister mother or stepfather / stepson or stepdaughter ). It is possible to pacser between first cousins.

Please note : The PACS can be concluded between two French, a French and a foreigner or two foreigners.

Who is it for?


France entière

Age required
More than 18 years
Impossible without
OFPRA birth certificate

France entière

Age required
More than 18 years
Impossible without
OFPRA birth certificate

What to do?


Write the PACS agreement

Before starting the procedures, it is advisable to check with the town hall of your place of residence to check the list of documents to be provided, the deadlines, etc.

The two partners must draw up and sign a PACS agreement. There are several possibilities for this:

  • A model PACS agreement is available on the Internet ( model agreement: Cerfa form n ° 15726 );
  • A notary can draw up the agreement;
  • The partners can write the agreement independently, in this case, it is a personalized agreement.
    The agreement must include the following text : "We, X and Y (name and first name of the partners), conclude a civil solidarity pact governed by the provisions of the law of November 15, 1999 as amended and articles 515-1 to 515-7 of the Civil Code. "

Please note : A single agreement must be drawn up for both partners.


Create the PACS file and make an appointment for registration

The PACS file consists of:

  • The PACS agreement (see step 1),
  • The completed form “joint declaration of a civil solidarity pact (Pacs) and certificates on the honor of non-kinship, non-alliance and common residence”.
    This form is available on the Internet ( Cerfa n ° 15725 ). In particular, he asks for information on the identity of the two partners and their parentage.
  • The birth certificate of less than 3 months for a French,
  • The original copy of less than 3 months of the certificate in lieu of birth certificate, issued by Ofpra , for a refugee,
  • A valid identity document (1 original and 1 photocopy),
  • A non-Pacs certificate issued by the central civil status service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
    To obtain it, you must complete the Cerfa form n ° 12819-06 , available on the Internet, and return it by mail to the central service at the following address:

Central civil status service - Ministry in charge of foreign affairs - "Exploitation" department

Pacs section

11, rue de la Maison Blanche

44941 Nantes Cedex 09

Please note: The non-Pacs certificate can also be completed directly on the Internet by an online service, with a France Connect account.

For people of foreign nationality, you may be asked for a custom certificate, which you can obtain from Ofpra.

>> To read on Réfugié Obtain a certificate of custom

Please note, if you are a widower or a widower, you will need to provide:

  • the family record book corresponding to the former union bearing mention of the death (1 original and 1 photocopy),
  • OR the full copy of the birth certificate of the ex-spouse with mention of the death,
  • OR the full copy of the death certificate of the ex-spouse.

Once the file has been established, you can make an appointment at the town hall to have the PACS registered. Appointments can be made by phone or on the Internet for some town halls.


Register the PACS

Once the file has been established, you will have to go to the town hall together (the two partners) with the complete file. The PACS cannot be registered if the file is incomplete.

On written request, some town halls may offer to organize a ceremony: check with your town hall.

And after?

You can terminate the PACS if you no longer want to be PACS

It is possible to dissolve a PACS if you no longer wish to be PACS.

The whole process is explained here .

Have you found useful information?
Thank people who wrote them for you
43 🙏
Contributors engaged
13Keep the page up to date and answer your questions
Proposé par
Comité de la Démarche Accessible

Comité de la Démarche Accessible