Renew your residence permit
What is it?
When the residence permit expires, that is to say that the validity date is approaching ("valid until"), a new card must be requested. This is called a renewal of residence permit.
Whether you are a refugee, beneficiary of subsidiary protection or stateless, you must apply online on the Foreigners in France website between 4 and 2 months before the expiry date of the document.
Good to know: After 4 years of residence in France with the beneficiary card for subsidiary protection or stateless person status, you can apply directly for a resident card (10 years). In this case, some prefectures may request a letter of motivation, a certificate of the level of French or the latest tax notices.
Who is it for?
What to do?
Connect to the Foreigners in France website
To apply for a new residence permit, you need these documents:
- Civil status documents sent by OFPRA (birth certificate, marriage certificate if you are married)
- Letter with the decision of the OFPRA or the CNDA granting you the status of refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection
- Proof of address less than 6 months old (or certificate of residence or certificate of accommodation)
Good to know: Proof of address is requested, which does not mean proof of accommodation. If you are without stable accommodation and you only have a postal address to receive mail, the usual domiciliation certificate is accepted. If you are staying with someone (family, friend, volunteer, etc.), you must send: an accommodation certificate from the person hosting you, a copy of their identity card (or residence card) and proof of address in his name (electricity or telephone bill).
- 3 e-photos
Good to know: To have an e-photo, you must go to a photo booth or to an official "Online Service" photographer (approved to take official photos for identity documents). To find a photo booth or an approved photographer, you can consult the geolocation map on this link. You must indicate the code written on the photo board.
> To read: the Refugees.info sheet "Making and using an e-photo ".
- If you are married: declaration on honor of non-polygamy (the fact of being married to several people) in France if you are a national of a country which authorizes it
- In some prefectures, proof of resources or activity is requested: tax notice, employment contract, Pôle Emploi certificate, etc.
- To renew a residence card (10 years), some prefectures may require a sworn statement confirming that you have not lived outside France for more than 3 consecutive years.
Connect to the Foreigners in France (ANEF) website
- Connect to your Foreigners in France account: click on your name at the top right of the home page, and select "Access my account".
- Or if you've never done it, create your account.
You need this information:
- foreign number (on the current residence permit, above the signature, called personal number, or on the right side vertically)
- start date of validity of the title
- expiry date of the title.
Good to know: If you are unknown to the administration (family member of a refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection or stateless person), and if you do not have a foreign number or visa number, you must go directly to the prefecture close to your postal address.
Once you are logged into your account on the Foreigners in France website, click on “I request or renew a residence permit”.
You must complete the form and send the documents for step 1.
After applying online, you will automatically receive by email a "deposit certificate" which proves that you have sent your file. This document does not grant any rights, it is only a proof.
If your file is complete and sent within the requested time, you will then receive an "certificate of extension of instruction". It is a temporary residence document which proves that you have the right to be in France in a regular situation and that you can work. This certificate replaces the receipt and is valid for a renewable period of 3 months.
When the prefecture has validated your application, you finally receive a "favorable decision certificate" which is valid until your new residence permit is available.
Follow the progress of the request
Your residence permit renewal application is studied by the competent prefecture or sub-prefecture close to your postal address. The processing times for applications are different in each prefecture.
To find out how your application is progressing, log into your personal account on the Foreigners in France website , click on your name at the top right of the home page, and select "Access my account".
There are four stages:
- Submission of the request : your request has been received.
- Investigation in progress : the prefecture has begun to study your request, its processing is in progress.
- Decision made : your request has been processed, a decision has been made.
- Residence permit available : your new card is available. An SMS will tell you how to recover it. If you do not receive any SMS, you must go to the website of your prefecture to find out how to retrieve your residence permit.
Pay and withdraw your residence permit
The day you pick up your residence permit, you must prove that you have paid €25 in tax stamps (with proof of payment of the stamp duty).
Tax stamps are sold only on the timbres.impots.gouv.fr website and in tobacconists.
Send a copy to the different services
Remember to send a copy of your new residence permit as soon as it is received, to the services that request it in order to update your files (to the CAF for the RSA and family allowances, to the town hall for your application for social housing, to the CPAM of your department for your health coverage, at Pôle emploi if you have a file in progress...).
If you can't complete the online process
If you change your address, you must declare it online on the Foreigners in France (ANEF) website. This Refugees.info sheet explains how to > “Declare a change of address on Foreigners in France”.
Good to know: The production of a new residence permit (paid) is not compulsory in the event of a change of address (you can, when declaring online, choose whether or not to produce a new permit). To justify your new home, a certificate will be available on your personal account after instruction.
If you have a technical problem on the site
If you have a technical problem (blocked page, error message, etc.), you can contact the Citizen Contact Center (CCC):
- by phone on 0 806 001 620 (free number),
- or with the contact form ("Contact" button at the bottom left of the screen). You must clearly explain your problem and send screenshots (site, date and time visible) with the error message if you have one.
Good to know: If the CCC has not been able to provide you with a solution, you can go to your prefecture to be accompanied by the digital reception point reserved for foreigners present in France. To contact the digital reception point closest to you, you can search on the internet by writing: “foreign prefecture digital reception point” and adding your department.